You will need:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- pinch kosher salt
- 8 (1/4 inch) thick mozzarella slices
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup plain dry bread crumbs
- oil for frying
- In a bowl combine, olive oil, garlic, basil and kosher salt.
- Lay mozzarella slices on a plate and pour garlic mixture over the top. Turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- The breading process is three step. In one bowl place flour, in a second bowl place egg, in the the third bowl combine the panko and plain dry bread crumbs.
- Heat about 1 inch of oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Dip each piece of mozzarella in the flour, then egg and finally press into the bread crumbs to coat completely.
- Drop a few bread crumbs into the oil, if they sizzle, it is hot enough. Fry breaded mozzarella for 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.